Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Blessing

Lots of money, a big house, a great job, a loving family? Are those blessings? Lossing a job, the death of a loved one, hard, unclear decisions, no money, homeless? Blessing? What is blessing? I am under the impression that in the western church we often come up with a skewed, limited idea of what blessing is. I just wanted to challange you to look at what you call blessing and why you've labeled something a blessing or not. I know for me, when I look at my life, I wouldn't call my parents divorce a blessing, and yet I was blessed through it because I leaned into the Father's heart. I wouldn't call going through the breaking off of an egagement a blessing, but I am so blessed to now know better the Lover that Christ is to me. When looking back over my life I see that the times when I felt truely blessed were when I really had to press in to God, when I didn't understand things, and when I couldn't explain things, and I was ready to give up, its then that I experienced a new part of God's character that I otherwise would not have been able to experience so thoroughly. It was then that I felt most blessed, that this God of the universe would share Himself with me. When in Uganda, one might say, oh, they struggle so, and we have so much blessings at home and they have so little here. But think about how distracting our "blessings" in the states are. Think of how intimately some in Uganda are able to experience God because they don't have those "blessings." We can be truly blessed whether we are living in America or Uganda, it's all a matter of perspective.

No comments: