Sunday, July 11, 2010

Why did the children cross the road?

The other day I was driving down the main road into Soroti with my friend Lawrence when I saw a group of very young school children on the side of the road. All of the sudden they ran across the road. Then they waited on the other side of the road and a handful of them ran back across the road. I thought this was funny (yet dangerous) game to play with small children…but Lawrence said that they’re being taught how to cross the street. I remember in Michigan when we were taught to cross the street it was make sure you walk, don’t run, remain calm. But here there are different rules to the road. You are taught to sprint to the other side because you just don’t know what could come down the road next nor how fast… after we passed the group of children with their one teacher, the rest of the students safely sprinted back across the street.

1 comment:

Christina Kragt said...

oh how the rules are different!! I remember running not walking across the road so I would not be hit by anything coming down the street!