Thursday, September 4, 2014

Life's journeys.

Growing up in the deep villages many years ago, there were very few big dreams in my head. I guess I had more fantasies than dreams. There was little hope and tunnel seemed to always be very dark without any hope of the light at the end.
However, up somewhere, there was always A BIG God with BIG Plans and Dreams for me. After leaving the village later on and joining high school, my world view completely changed and I started seeing life and things differently than before. I received Christ and slowly started aligning myself and fitting into God's plans for me. I started knowing who I really was in Christ.

I was reminded most of these dreams and plans that I used to have by a close friend for many years and a brother in Christ. We reminisced about the past for over two hours. Discussing many things from disappointments to joys. How we were conned by some con men from Canada many years ago that they would provide us employment at the shipping company. The five of us each parted with over 700$ hard earned money. People sold land, cows, borrowed loans, etc because the offer was too good to let pass. We shared about how we travelled to Nairobi for a supposed visa interview at the Canadian High Commission only to be told by the receptionist that "you have been conned". The journey back to Uganda was heart wrenching. Where would we start again. And being the leader of this group, it was so hard on me and I haven't recovered from this sense of failure up to now. One member of our group died a few years later, another one got so frustrated and ran mad after all these episodes and the three of us are strongly serving The Lord.
For this friend of mine, he was so happy for me because at least, I will be going to the States, about 9 years after all that mess. He told me it was a fulfillment of our failed attempts to get to Canada many years ago and he was hopeful that surely one day, he would fulfill his life long dream as well. We encouraged each other in The Lord about our past failures. It wasn't the will of God but ours. We never sought him and yet wanted him to go by us and not us by him. We had a great time and after we departed from each other lots of thoughts came to mind.

Now, it's less than a week to go, it's real, after all the hitches and disappointments, we will finally be going to  America, but instead of being very excited, I doubt whether that's completely the mood. I feel nervous and anxious even though the word of God says I shouldn't be. What could be in store for me over there? What surprises await? Snow? Stares? Language issues? Am I really ready for this?
One thing keeps ringing in the back of my head, " it's not by might or power,it's by my spirit says The Lord". And what more can I do than to trust him with my next 4 or 5 months in a new land.

I look forward to the next chapter of my life book. I look forward to meeting my American family, meet our beloved supporters and enjoy life and America. Hopefully all my fears will be proved wrong. See most of you soon,
Ruudy.


No comments: