Monday, January 19, 2015

America: An African Boy's Perspective 15.

I must say your prayers for us over the last couple of weeks have been encouraging. We feel closer to making a final decision  now, keep praying for us and hopefully, we will have news about our return date by Tuesday evening next week; watch out for it.

It can be frustrating waiting for something that you don't have control over. You just keep praying and hoping and wishing. That has been and is still the case regarding when we are to return. It becomes even harder when you know that your call of duty is somewhere in Uganda, and yet here you are, still somewhat stuck not having the right answers. But blessed be God who gives us continuous encouragement and hope through His word and His body; without God's encouragement, i wouldn't be at peace at all.

However, in the midst of all this, the Lord keeps opening small windows of opportunities to serve; and serving Him excites me more than anything else. About a week ago, such an opportunity opened up for me. My "bestie" called me up one evening and asked me what my day looked like and whether i had some time. I always have time for him because he has a special grace of getting me happy and talking. After about 7:45pm, he picked me up, told me to pick a shovel and we off we went. I didn't know exactly what we were going to do this time around, but i couldn't ask because i didn't want to ruin a surprise; if that was what he was planning. I got a small tour of a large green house here in Grandrapids and later on, i was given an opportunity to drive on snow in that green house's large parking lot! I had never driven from here before since i don't yet have my drivers license; so, this was exciting, driving on snow was different from any other condition i have ever driven under! Felt strange and exciting at the same time and all the time, i was chuckling and laughing like a baby!

But, that was not the main thing. He told me there was one of his clients that he had seen that day that needed help. He had gone to give a routine service when he noticed that this old man, who is condemned to a wheel chair, needed help with his drive way. He couldn't come out on his wheel chair because the driveway was clogged with snow and his kids lived in a distant State. He thought that the two of us could provide some help by going in there and shovel all the snow and drive away so that this old man could wake up to a surprise in the morning! I was happy that he thought of me to help. I had never shoveled the snow before and this particular night was snowy and cold, but i felt this was a worthy cause to put my fears aside.
We arrived at our address and parked the car some distance from the house and armed with our shovels, we quickly accomplished our task. I actually enjoyed doing it! And with each shove that i made, the fear kept going away. Because of the liberation from the fear of snow, i was able to treat my mother-in-law to some jumps on the snow a few days later even though i was only wearing shorts!

After finishing up our mission, we went to a nearby McDonald's restaurant and had a meaningful discussion until the waitress politely told us they were closing. On the way home, i kept thinking how the Lord always looks at us when we are in different needs and situation that we can't help ourselves with and how He sends His angels and others to help us, i thought about my own life and the numerous times when things were out of my control and someone always happened to do something about it and the joy i always felt after each intervention. I hope that old man was happy to wake up and find his driveway clear; i hope it brought a smile on his face and i hope he was able to wheel himself out, even for a few seconds.
Over the years, i have come to believe that each act of kindness that we do, is a seed that we stand to reap from later on in life and if it's not us who will reap from it, then our children will. I hope to be able to do more of such acts this year and i hope you will continue to do the same too, because love conquers everything. 

I am already thinking about my last blogpost as the day for our departure keeps drawing near and i hope to share about my surprises, my joys and my struggles while in the land of the free. This should wet your appetite for that post.

However, since today is Martin Luther King Jr day, i thought i should leave you with one of his quotes that suits the writing and here it is, think and act it out. Bless you.
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'
Martin Luther King, Jr."


No comments: