Monday, February 9, 2015

America: An African Boy's Final Perspective.

Thanks for making it to this final perspective and well done if you have followed all my perspectives! I hope you have had a good read as i have enjoyed hearing compliments from different people regarding what i wrote. I have thought long and hard about this final perspective and i hope i can be able to put all my thoughts together in the following lines.

I guess i will start with some of the places/ events/ things that i have enjoyed most while here and they are in no particular order. I must confess that this country is more beautiful than i thought! I enjoyed the New England area so much, watching for the first time in my life the beauty of different trees bearing different colors was just amazing.
Off we headed to the west coast and had a great time at the Grand Canyon! This beautiful place just kept reminding me of the awesomeness of beautiful savior! I kept watching with awe the beauty of this place and i never wanted to blink even for just a second because i wanted to take in as much as i could see in the shortest time possible because there was just too much to see. From nature to spirituality, Bethel Church was an amazing place. I very much enjoyed being in their soaking auditorium swimming in the presence of God worshiping the risen Christ. I loved everything; the freedom and diversity as well as creativity in worship. Indeed it is a soaking place and i would recommend this place for all true worshipers.
Speaking to an attentive African American Students audience truly touched me. Watching them cry, laugh and smile as i shared my story with them was encouraging and reading their testimonies later was even more touching. It was good to know that some of them were struggling with the same things i struggled with at one point in my life and to hear and read them saying just like i did, they would never give up but instead strive on! Who knew an African boy's story would inspire an American boy and girl? Only God knew!
Watching the snow fall down for the first time was fascinating. With no previous personal experience wit it, i didn't know what to expect, even though i had read a lot about it both positive and negative. My own conclusion is that snow is pretty when you are watching it from inside than outside. I met someone who loves everything about snow; he told us he loves shoveling it, playing in it, watching it, everything. I wouldn't say the same thing about it (yet).
Having traveled to/though more than 20 States, i got the privilege of having favorites and although i must say each State is unique in it's own way, if i had to choose where i wanted to live in future, i would go in this order: Florida, California, New Mexico, Arizona...i guess you must have already figured out why. I enjoyed the sunshine in Florida and the warmth of the people there as well as the sea food, California is beautiful and i enjoyed their 13 lane free ways (especially when there was less traffic and we could drive fast with our windows down and fresh air coming in), Arizona and New Mexico are areas i would want to do ministry in because i saw some things that were similar to what we have in Africa.
The first place i felt comfortable at when i first came was the small Sunday evening prayer group. I went in there for the first time and at the end of the prayer meeting i felt i knew everyone there for decades! We were spiritually joined straight away and it became one thing i always looked forward to every week. It's beautiful that people who go to different churches can come together in prayer for the nations and the peoples and be in such strong spiritual oneness. To be sincere, i will miss this group so much because we all grew to know each other very well.
I have enjoyed some of the foods here; pizza here tastes better, i fell in love with steaks and sea foods and after a few hesitations (because of the name), i tried new soda called Root Beer though i know this will cause a few raised eyebrows back home. I have also enjoyed cookies made by my grandmas here as well as mother-in-law, i fell in love with apple pie and apple crisp, i enjoyed burgers too and my favorite being coulvers (not sure whether i spelt the name right) and also beef/pork roast.

There have also been things here that have left me chuckling and laughing. These crazy and funny things seem to only happen here in America and i can't wait to see the reaction on the faces of the people back in Uganda when i share these with them. Some of them are here: I doubt there's any other country in the face of the earth where people love their animals and pets more than America. Through our travels, we have heard and seen many things. We were told by someone how their mother loves her dogs more than her own children, we were told of a dog that sees a chiropractor quite often and has to be seen very early in the mornings before other human clients came in! It's ok to love animals, i had two dogs myself for hunting growing up and we have a beautiful dog in Soroti right now (in fact i had to shop for her a few playing dolls yesterday). My only problem is when people over do it and replace people with the animals and pets. My own belief is that nothing on the face of the earth should take the place for a human being because of the magnitude of the price someone had to pay for humanity!
Aside from pets, i have always laughed hard each time i hear someone misuse a verb or tense. We have always held it that English speaking people don't make mistakes because it's their own language and most of them have not had the influence of other languages (Uganda has over 53 languages and dialects). I have heard people use past tenses in place of past participles or present continuous tenses for example i heard someone say: "I have drove there several times...". I am sure this is going make many young people laugh back home when i tell them that even English people make such mistakes; we are not alone.
Another crazy thing is how people drink their drinks with ice in them even when the weather is freezing! I do like ice but i had never thought that people would put it in their drinks even during freezing weather conditions.
I have also seen that most people here consider themselves to be right in what they think or hold or know. I don't know how to put it rightly but that's at least how i feel.

In general, i enjoyed my time in America, i had a lot to learn and also a lot to be thankful for. It's different than watching it on TV, i must say Hollywood is not a real representation of America the way most people outside America think it is and i am grateful i got the opportunity to come visit and see it first hand. Tomorrow we depart for Uganda and i will carry with me memories; both positive and negative and hope to use this to create a positive and lasting impact in the lives of those in my sphere of influence. I have learned a lot that i hope to share with young people in my country.
Also, as i read the booklet i was given to read about American history in preparation for my citizenship interview, i have learned a lot of great things about this country that seem to be completely different from what is happening now. The founders indeed had a greater vision for this country and i would recommend that every parent gets a copy of this booklet not just for their children but for themselves too. I was surprised that a high schools student didn't know the name of the American national anthem, didn't know how many stars are in the flag and how many stripes are in the flag! Reading this booklet motivates me even the more to want to complete the process and become a citizen of this great country. (Keep praying for me in this regard).

I must also own up every word or sentence that has appeared in all my perspectives. None of my previous perspectives has changed and everything that i wrote before is still the way i first saw it or them for the very first time. I know some articles have been more critical than others and i am sorry if i stepped on your toes, but you must know that i am a free and honest thinker and i like saying things the way they are and express my thoughts the way i feel and my different perspectives have mirrored these. The next time you read from me, i will be writing from Uganda and i can't wait for my own experience in my own country after being away for the longest time ever, i will let you know of my culture shock in my own country if there will be any. Thank you so much for your love and support; you make us fight with confidence knowing we've got our backs covered. It was a pleasure to meet all of you and i hope to see you all again soon, if not in this life, then in the one to come. Grace and peace be multiplied to you through the knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ and God the Father. Amen.  


      

1 comment:

mark foshager said...

Ruudy, I am honored to have finally met you, and to know you as a friend. God bless you and Beckie now that you are back in the homeland!!