Saturday, May 2, 2009

its for the birds...

Last year I made a birdhouse and hung it out behind my grandparents house. It was for a certain type of bird that I can't think of the name right now of, but to my dismay not one chose it as a place of habitation. But to my great joy this year it looks like some nuthatchers (a blue&black little bird) have started building a nest, they look like they are enjoying it so much and are quite busy. They will have a safe place to bring new life into the world and be protected from storms and predators. Now, go with me here for second. It may be a stretch. Think of the birdhouse as the foundation, just like Jesus. God offers us Christ and He is the safe place. Just as the jew rejected him, so too the other bird that the birdhouse was intended for rejected the birdhouse. Just as I am taking delight that these birds are abiding in my birdhouse, God takes delight when we abide in Christ. Just as I do not force the birds to choose my birdhouse (not could I if I wanted too), God does not force us to choose Christ, but offers Him for all, hoping that all will choose Him. Just as I know storms and predators will come, i delight that the birds have a refuge to go to, a place to rest and be protected. God too tells us that storms and predators will come into our lives, but we can find refuge, rest and protection in Christ Jesus. Just as the birds use the birdhouse to bring new life into the world, God uses Christ to bring new life to us. Thank you Father that you teach us about yourself everywhere we look. That you do not hide yourself from us, but reveal your love through even the simple lesson of the birdhouse. Thank you Jesus for being our refuge, a place of new life, for allowing us to abide in you. Father constantly remind us that you delight in us, not because we are somehow able to build a life that meets your satisfaction, but just because you love us.

No comments: