Friday, May 28, 2010

Obalanga & ICC

Today we went out to a village called Obalanga. The roads there are mostly not paved and mostly not smooth, but we made it in maybe 1.5hrs. Obalanga is a place where refugee's from within Uganda set up camp back when the LRA rebels were wreaking havoc in the north of Uganda (2003/4). At once point the LRA surrounded the camp and didn't let anything/anyone in or out of the camp, needless to say it was bad and some 12 people on average were dying each day until finally the village created their own militia group and was joined by the Ugandan Army were they able to free themselves. International teams has used some of its money over the last couple years to help properly bury those who had died during that time by creating mass graves for the unidentified and individual graves for those who were identified as people would be digging their gardens and come across bones and bring the trauma right to their face again. The ICC (international criminal court) will be coming to Soroti and Obalanga tomorrow to see the graves and meet some of the kids affected by the LRA. We are doing a big portion in hosting these people. So today we went to Obalanga and tore out weeds that were growing very tall among the graves. it was a hot and long day. I couldn't help but see a lesson that God wanted to teach me as I was hoeing. As a follower of Jesus it's one thing to say I follow you Jesus and then just live on, but if i leave the garden of my heart weeds will come. If I don't let continually Holy Spirit into my heart and have Him cleanse me, my heart will be come choked out by weeds and will loose track of my purpose and my identity in Christ. Jesus isn't supposed to be just a one time decision, it is a constant relationship, a constant abiding. and He will make me more and more like Him. Ok, in my brain it makes sense, but i'm tired so don't know how well that translated into actual words.

2 comments:

Only your coat said...

Miss hearing about the life lessons =) Thx for posting!

marsha said...

I completely understood what you were saying! Thanks for sharing.