Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dokolo Bible Club Interrupted

Today I went out to Dokolo primary school for bible club. Usually we meet on fridays, but Berna and I have been out of town for a few weeks and the school year is now ended, so we decided to meet twice this week. Today and Tomorrow. There are no classes right now so many of the kids came in the morning and just waited for us to come at 2pm. When we arrived there were only 3 of our regular girls there and 5 of the boys (we average 24 kids usually). But by the end of the time we had at least 6 of the regular girls and 6 of the boysand then at least 12 other kids who just wanted to be there with us, mainly from the grade level below. So we let everyone stay who wanted to and had a good couple lessons on making good choices and having peaceful responses when we're provoked. During the middle of the second lesson suddenly the kids started standing up and looking out the side of the church wall and I could tell something was wrong, but i didn't know what. Berna started running and as she ran by she said they see a snake. So we all ran about like chickens with our heads cut off, seeking safety. well, for me, I was seeking safety, but many of the kids were seeking rocks and sticks to attempt to destroy the snake. I made it around to the other side of the church in time to see it scurry (if a snake scurries) off into the grass. I thought it would surely be killed, but they said it disappeared (hence no photo) before they could finish it off. We then went back to bible study. I've had bible studies interrupted before, but never by a snake before...When we were resuming bible study Berna was asking the kids about the snake, they told her that there was no medicine that would help that bite, later the headmaster said that it was a cobra...no big deal, just a cobra...ahhhh!!! anyway. it was a good reminder of just how many dangers there are around at any time, and how many times the Lord has protected me from something, unbeknownst to me.
A few prayer requests from the day:
We're officially finishing the bible club tomorrow as this school year
is over, however the headmaster has asked if we could keep coming weekly and meeting with the children, please pray for wisdom in deciding if we keep going and if so, what we continue with...

The headmaster also said that at his church there's like 20-25 youth who could use some discipleship, like we're currently doing with the other youth in kamuda in the drama team...more wisdom on if, when, how, and what...to do
Berna and I noticed one of our regular girls, called Salume, seemed sad as we were about to leave, Berna grabbed her hand and started enquiring as we walked along.
She found out that Salume lives with her auntie and she is hardly eating as when the aunt prepares something for herself she seldom shares with Salume. Salume's other siblings are with different relatives. We took some time to chat with her and then pray for her. Please pray along with us that God would reveal His precious love for her and make a way where there is no way for her.

1 comment:

alistephalius said...

Sister you are so great!! AHHHHH I would have run out in safety as well ;) you know what? I never saw a cobra here since I am in Uganda and honnestly I think if I would have I would have packed since long...And by the way I love your blog!!