Thursday, December 9, 2010

a "sweet" from market


So I was at market today to pick up a few things, mangoes, fresh fish, avocado, watermelon, tomatoes and onions, etc...I was with my friends who are about twelve years old each, Betty and Abella. On the way into market there was one stall with a few things, and I saw some grey hard thing, like cement wrapped in newspaper, i asked betty what it was and just reached out to touch it and she says, ah, that's for pregnant ladies and quickly pulls me away. As we walk away Abella mentions, I've ever tried it (this means she's tried it before), it tastes good. Betty says, even me I like it. Apparently not just for pregnant ladies. Anyway, we walk throughout market and get everything we wanted. On the way out we pass by near that same stall, and a lady was sitting on the ground sorting through what looked to me like stones, Betty stops and says this is the one, the stones. So she reaches down and grabs some small, small, part of a stone, and eats it. Abella also is desiring one, so Betty grabs another little piece and hands it to Abella who also proceeds to eat. This is the stuff the pregnant ladies eat, I've figured. Now, I too am interested in what these "stones" taste like, Betty tells me they are like a sweet (candy), you can just suck on it, but Abella says she likes to chew it. So Betty finds me a piece and I try it. At first I suck on it, then chew it a bit. And then i proceed to spit it out as we walk away. It looked like a stone, so i should have figured it would taste like a stone. Well, I think it tasted more like dirt actually, but you get the idea.It was the worst "sweet" I've ever had. As we walk away Betty says the pregnant women love it. Let's just say for the time being, I'm glad I'm not pregnant.

On a more serious note, during the school holiday, so for december, january, and probably february, i'm doing a small bible study with these two girls two mornings a week, we are studying Matthew. please pray for our time together. when i asked if either had a prayer request this morning they both want to be able to read the bible better. Abella, just got a bible a month ago, and has already read through the gospels twice, and deuteronomy and now is making her way through Jeremiah. She said she is praying that she could understand the bigger words. Betty can't really read yet, a combination of poor schooling and we think a learning disability, so we're praying that God helps her brain to function
properly as it's intended to so she can also read a bible. Thanks for joining with me in praying for these girls. Oh that the love of Christ for His Bride would jump off the pages of His word in to their hearts.
Below is a picture of me with Betty and Abella a few months back, my hand is on Abella's head, Betty's the one with polka dots:

1 comment:

mbhendriksen said...

Thanks for sharing about the sweets...Say hello to Betty and Abella for me. Love to you darlin