Tuesday, December 7, 2010

teaching - learning - praising God


One of the jobs I have here in Soroti is to teach Lydia twice a week. She's the oldest daughter of the Shaarda's (missionaries on our team here). She's 7 now, and i'm teaching her 2nd grade math, reading and phonics, and health. Today we were learning about our eyes in health. And as I was explaining the pupil and how it responded to the light I covered my one eye and then had her watch as the pupil went from big to little. As it did she let out a little shriek of excitement and said, and we didn't even have to tell it to do that. That's right. I was just struck then and there in awe of my Creator. The way my eye has been formed, how it functions almost 100% of the time without me even being aware. I'm so glad I don't have to remember to tell my pupil to get bigger or smaller depending on thelight, or remind my heart to beat or my lungs to breathe. Our bodies are amazing and I'm so glad I get to teach these lessons where I'm reminded of the miracle of creation that we are, and the care that our loving Father put into designing and creating us. So as you find yourself squinting in the sun or straining to see in the dark, praise the Lord with me for creating us so fearfully and wonderfully.
Below is the only picture I have of me and Lydia together. We're the two on the right. On the left, my good friend Claudia when she was visiting and Lydia's little sister Grace. I guess I'll have to get a picture or two in the classroom...

1 comment:

Karebear said...

Teaching Lydia is always a pleasure... I'm glad to see she still finds learning exciting. May God bless your times together... and thank you for reminding us all how amazing our Creator really is!