Thursday, March 27, 2008

selflessness

I guess I had an idea of what it involved, but living it out, day by day, moment by moment is quite another story. Today God revealed a little more about what selflessness means and how it's lived out. My grandma is dying. She has just begun comfort care, aka hospice. She has nearly died probably 3 or 4 times it seems like in the last year. I had a chance to talk to her today, and I asked her what she was thinking about, she gathered her words and through cracked lips and hoarse voice said, "i'm ready to die, but I don't want to put Grandpa through that." Wow. I asked her if she was scared at all, she said, "a little bit" but quickly added that she wasn't really because she would be going to heaven. she had hope, she was ready to die. It seems like every breath is hard, yet she's holding on for the sake of her husband, to her dying day she's going to be looking out for his best interest, she's going to throw aside her pain, her comfort to hold on for one more day, for the love of her husband. Thank you Grandma for teaching me about selflessness. Jesus would you teach us this?

3 comments:

Serenity said...

Becky!!!
I finally checked your blog out again, it has been a while. LOVE your skipping post, I could just imagine it and it made me laugh out loud.
Hey, we're coming out to see you soon- like in 4 months...maybe. Are you ready for the huge tribe?
We must chat.
love ya!

Serenity said...

And about your grandma, what a sweet and hard spot that is. I hope you have some good last moments with her- she sounds wonderful!

David said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/sederet-motor-keren-yang-jadi-tunggangan-5-artis-indonesia/