Tuesday, March 25, 2008

too cool not to skip

I went for a walk this evening, it felt good after sitting around all day. As i made my way around the neighborhood, i felt light on my feet and i caught myself wanting to skip. a quick look around, well i don't think anyone is watching, a quick little half skip that would be put to shame by any kid in 1st grade. I thought to myself, are you ashamed to skip? what's wrong with skipping, what's wrong with skipping and singing and enjoying your God, the creation and the day? nothing. so why are you so half hazardly throwing a pathetic little hop in your step. I got a little bolder, a couple skips in a row, alright, i'm doing good now, oh no, I hear a car coming, better pretend like i'm just walking plainly down the street, la-de-da-de-dah, ok they're past, a couple more skips, wow this is kinda, really fun. Finally i hear another car, i hesitate, but continue bursting forth in the air with unexpected freedom. and for good measure i even throw a little wizard of oz, yellow path step or two in. awesome. oh there's someone, normal, walk normal, no you can skip, skip away.
Why is it so hard to skip as a 25 year old? Skipping shouldn't be this hard. If my soul is bursting with joy, why not let my body show it? Have we allowed our culture to force us to downplay excitement and joy? Why not walk around with a big smile on your face? What's so wrong with that? Why not skip down the street? Why not wave at unsuspecting passerbyers or cheer on the neighbor kids basketball game. Let outbursts of joy penetrate into our culture, rather than letting the culture shape us, let's start shaping the culture. Don't be afraid to show emotion, to show pure joy, give a little shout out, whistle, skip, run, jump, hum or sing as you walk, draw a pretty picture, or give some one a big smile, laugh heartily. Live life abundant. Enjoy life, God's not some mean old boss who wants always to rain on our parade, in reality, He's probably the drum major, or on the trumpet, or oh yeah, maybe throwing candy...whatever, He wants us to enjoy life, to delight our selves in Him and He will give us the desires of our hearts. Are you enjoying life, or just going through the motions? Are you enjoying God or just trying to stay off His "bad side"? From now on I'm too cool not to skip...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

"I will dance, I will sing to be mad for my king. Nothing Lord is hindering this passion in my soul! I'll become even more undignified than this..."